Friday, April 23, 2010

Overreach much?

Here's a list of my current craft projects:

SEWING/QUILTING:
-T-shirt quilt: Believe it or not, the reason I started sewing. Years ago I heard of people making quilts out of the screen prints, iron-ons, etc, on all those t-shirts from high school, college, runs, bike rides, and I thought, Of COURSE that's what I should do! I immediately cut the front (and sometimes back) designs out of the tshirts that I didn't want to wear any more and turned the remaining fabric into rags. Now I'm quilting on a 15-patch top. Shirts include those from a Yellowstone trip when I was 11, horseback camp when I was 12, a mission trip to Mississippi with my youth group the summer I graduated from high school, and a couple bike rides from the last 10 years. Oddly, I realized after I had assembled the top, I didn't include any college tees, even though I collected a good dozen in my four years.

Unfortunately, my machine started acting all wonky a little while after I started using the "free-motion" foot for the quilting and I think I'll have to take it in to have it looked at. In the meantime, I'm piecing the next quilt with no problem.

-Dinosaur quilt: It's a "crazy nine-patch" with about 6 dinosaur prints and three other coordinating "solid" prints. It's meant for Arthur, who just moved into a twin bed from his toddler bed. This one I just started when quilting on the t-quilt got to be too much. I've cut out the 12x12 pieces necessary to start my first few blocks and hope to start cutting soon.

-Dying: Yesterday I started dying some pieces of IKEA curtain fabric cut from some too-long curtains that came with our new house. They are muslin-like, and my first attempt at eggplant turned out beautifully! This will surely be cheaper than buying new quilting fabric. And didn't quilting start out as a form of recycling?

-Sun shirt: I realized recently that I need a flowy, light-colored shirt for covering up when it's warm and sunny (those days will come soon, right?). I tried one on at Patagonia called "Sun Shelter" but it just wasn't flowy. I don't want a fitted blouse when I'm sweating in the sun! I haven't *really* started this project, but I have cut out some of the pattern pieces and ordered the fabric.

KNITTING:

Believe it or not, I only have one knitting project in progress: A tank made from corn yarn. I am trying to decide from among three other patterns for my next one...

SCRAPBOOKING:

I am so, so behind on scrapbooking. Right now I'm working on a surprise gift for someone that I need to finish in the next month or so. I've started working on Australia. And I've been doing a bit of the day-to-day stuff of the boys growing and having fun in the meantime.

No comments: