Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stencil!

If anyone remembers the colorful walls in our old house, you'll understand how excrutiatingly bored I am with our current white walls (which are also textured to death and therefor way too hard to paint, especially since this house will probably get torn down some time in the next year or two!).

So since I can't paint walls, I'm painting furniture.



I've had this dresser for about 13 years. Who knew I'd still have it now after buying it at Meijer in Champaign and putting it together with Nathan in my apartment there?

It's not the world's ugliest dresser, but some sprucing up sure couldn't hurt it.

The blogoshpere is abuzz with the stenciling trend, so I decided to try it out on this small scale. Here's the initial attempt:



Not perfect by any means, but not bad. The fact that the stencil hangs off the drawer makes it bow and therefor there's space for bleed. I bought a can of repositionable adhesive for the next round. I also decided I'm not madly in love with this result, so I'm going to try white-on-turquoise next instead of the other way around. We'll see how it goes.

Now, the next big question: What kind of hardware? Any thoughts on what goes with Moroccan window pattern in turquoise?

No comments: