Saturday, January 23, 2010

Knit happens

Last month Megan taught me how to knit! If I knew where the scarf that I was working went to, I would have a picture of how the rows that she cast on and started for me are all neat and lovely, and then there are a few rows of mess before I start to get the hang of it. Over Christmas I bought a book and taught myself how to purl on the plane home. (Purling is not the horribly un-fun, nearly impossible task some people would have you believe.) With this same book I taught myself how to cast on, increase and decrease. These are all good things to know if you want to make stuff with yarn.





I made this hat with a pattern in the book. I followed all the instructions and made a swatch to check the size of my stitches, but it turned out way too small. I made it with the intent of wearing it myself but it's too small for two-and-a-half-year-old (who has a giant head, but still). Maybe my little one-year-old niece can wear it.

I'm knitting another hat in the same pattern but with 20 percent more cast-on stitches and about 15 extra rows. I've also ordered some circular needles to do the next project I want to work on from the book: a sweet-looking poncho.

*Yes, I stole the title of this post from the book.
** If you're ever in St. Louis, get thee to the Knittery.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you're every in St. Louis, get thee to The Loopy Ewe. Best sock (and other finer guage) yarn. Whenever we drive through, I make a detour.